Sport and Physical Activity play an important role in Campus Life at IT Sligo. Our belief is that Sport is for everyone. Whether you are an achieving athlete, a talented part-time player or a healthy hero just looking to keep fit, we have something for you. We realise the positive impact Sport and Activity can have on an individual’s Physical and Mental Health. It improves your wellbeing, forms new friendships and enhances all aspects of your life and learning. That is why we have developed a broad range of activities to suit every individual.
- Develop your talent with the help of our top-class coaches. Compete as an Individual or on a Team representing IT Sligo
- Over 30 Sports Clubs – Compete at National or International Level
- Sport Scholarship Programme – Get the supports needed to excel in your Sport whilst maintaining academic excellence.
- For those who want to play in a sociable environment – with a slight competitive edge!
- From recreational soccer to dodgeball, badminton to volleyball – the options are endless!
- A great way to try something new and meet new people
- If you just want to have some fun and keep active!
- Daily Exercise classes ranging from Spinning to Yoga
- Access our Knocknarea Fitness suite. Try our Outdoor Gym. Or take in the sights on our Campus Walking Trail
The Institute has made significant investment in Sporting Facilities over the last number of years. This has resulted in the state of the art facilities we see on Campus today. With access available 7 days a week, keeping active has never been easier.
At the centre of our facilities is the Knocknarea Arena. This Sporting Hub is where you will find our Multi-Purpose Sports Hall, State of the Art Fitness Suite and Specialised Exercise Studios. Students can also avail of Free Fitness Consultations and Personalised Exercise Programmes with a member of our qualified fitness team.
Outside, we have our International Standard 8 Lane Tartan Surface running track with throwing and jumping facilities. Our newly developed 3g Astro Turf pitch is fully floodlit and FIFA Approved. We also have 3 floodlit grass pitches – A Championship standard pitch for GAA and Rugby, FAI Certified Soccer pitch and a high quality training pitch. An outdoor gym is located along the Campus Walking Trail, Sli na Sláinte, also.
Off Campus, students can avail of various Sporting Facilities at heavily discounted rates. The Clayton Hotel, just a 2 minute walk from IT Sligo, provides access to a Swimming Pool, Sauna, Steam Room and Jacuzzi. Or for the more competitive swimmer – Sligo Regional Sports Centre has a 25m Indoor Heated Swimming Pool. A 5 minute drive from Campus is Sligo Tennis Club – home to 6 outdoor floodlit Omni courts, an Indoor Tennis court, 5 Badminton courts and 4 Squash courts.
IT Sligo’s stunning location along the Wild Atlantic Way lends itself to some breathtaking Natural Facilities that few, if any, colleges can boast. Located just a 10 minute drive from IT Sligo and part of Sligo Town’s bus route, are Strandhill and Rosses Point beaches. Here you will find an array of water sports such as Surfing, Windsurfing or the more relaxing SUP Boarding. The North West is renowned for having some of the best waves in the World! Both Seaside towns are also home to 18-hole links Golf courses – challenging courses, distracting beauty!
Find out more;