Supporting students to achieve their potential
Welcome to the Academic Writing Centre at IT Sligo.
The centre offers free advice and support on all aspects of academic writing to all students of IT Sligo, whether you are studying online or on campus.
The centre is located in room A2054, in the quiet zone on the top floor of the Yeats Library. In this dedicated space students can avail of 1:1 appointments with experienced writing tutors in a friendly and informal atmosphere.
1:1 appointments can also be held live online in the tutor’s online meeting room. This interactive space allows for live discussion between the tutor and student, while document and screen sharing features enable resources to be shared and written feedback to be provided.
How we can help
We are not an editing or proof-reading service but we can support you in acquiring the skills to complete your assignments:
- Getting started with an assignment: planning, outline & structure
- The writing process: generating ideas, drafting, revising & editing
- Critical reading and effective note-taking
- Developing an argument: critical reading, thinking and writing
- Reflective writing, report writing & writing for a literature review
- Successful writing in exams
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Grammar, punctuation and spelling
If you have questions around academic writing, make our Moodle page your first port of call; Login to Moodle and find the Academic Writing Centre Support Page under your My Modules tab.
Services & Resources on Moodle:
- Book face to face or online appointments with a tutor;
- Attend your online appointment in the tutor’s online meeting room;
- Access a range of online writing guides, recorded tutorials and resources covering key aspects of academic writing;
- Message or chat with a tutor;
- Upload a writing query along with any supporting draft work.
Booking an appointment
1:1 or small group appointments can be booked online through our Moodle page. Click here to choose the day and time that suits you: Book an appointment with a tutor
- Book an appointment;
- Email the tutor confirming that you will be attending online;
- At the appointment time, login to the tutor’s online meeting room through Moodle.
Appointments last 40 minutes. In order to get the most from your appointment, it is helpful to bring along an assignment brief, a piece of work on which you are currently working or have recently completed, and any feedback received.
1:1 appointments are extremely popular and book up quickly: get in touch early in the semester if you think could benefit from writing support
Email the centre directly with any general queries or if you want to find out more about how the centre can help you: email@example.com
Academic Writing Tutor
Phone: 071 9305358